Cheap Things to do During the Winter in Boston
By Gabriella Iarrobino
As a poor college student living in Boston, I am constantly searching for things to do that won’t break the bank. Lucky for you, I have compiled a list of the top five things to do in Boston when the weather outside is oh so frightful.
1. Ice Skate at Frog Pond: Get in touch with your inner Michelle Kwan and skate under the lights of the commons for $9. If you have a valid college ID, you can skate for $2 every Tuesday night after 5 pm. Grab a hot chocolate or a Belgian Waffle at the Frog Pond Café on your way out.
Location: Smack dab in the middle of the Commons. Accessible by public transportation, via Park St stop on the Red Line or via Boylston stop on the Green Line
2. Take in the art at the galleries on Newbury Street: You don’t have to be an art connoisseur to be in awe of the original Picassos, Warhols, and more that are hidden away in the galleries of Newbury Street. It’s like going to a museum without having to pay an admission fee.
Location: Accessible by public transportation via Hynes Convention stop on the Green Line.
3. Star gaze at Boston University’s Coit Observatory: The observatory is open to the public on Wednesday nights at 7:30 pm. It’s free so go and check out the Big Dipper and Orion’s Belt!
Location: Accessible by public transportation via Packard’s Corner stop on the Green Line
4. Tour Sam Adams Brewery: For those of you who are 21 and older, Sam Adams offers free daily tours of their brewery. Go and learn about the local Boston brew. Hours are as follows: Monday-Thursday 10-3pm, Friday 10-5:30pm, and Saturdays 10-3pm. Although this is a free attraction, donations are accepted which benefit local charities.
Location: Accessible by public transportation via the Stony Brook stop on the Orange Line
5. Visit the Institute of Contemporary Art: Thursday nights from 5-9pm admission is free so go and see what is new in the modern art world.
Location: Accessible by public transportation via the World Trade Center stop on the Silver Line